Welcome to the second episode of our little podcast. This time around we drove to Paderborn to have a little BBQ party with the Bloodwork guys and used this opportunity to record a podcast together with Nico, their lead guitarist who also wrote most of the Bloodwork tunes and is responsible for parts of the vocals. He already played in a lot of bands, but Deadly Sin and Bloodwork are his latest projects.
We made a vlog about that day as well so feel free to check it out in case you are curious what the whole thing looked like: Link to the vlog
Here some of the topics we cover in this podcast:
- How to get booked for Wacken open air – twice.
- Does Bloodwork still exist or are they just taking a break
- The gatekeeper mechanic at festivals – who decides which band is playing on festivals?
- The role of labels in todays music business
- Buy in shows, pay to play
- The state of the music business
- Is knowing people/connections more powerful than being skilled musician?
- Shitty gigs and big opportunities, big versus small shows
- How to get noticed as a band
- Do bands have to play every shitshow they can until it gets better?
- Social media
- When is it time to end your band or quit your band?
- The importance of social media in todays music business
- Using videos to analyze your onstage performance in order to get better
- Learning how to edit videos
- Vlogging as a band
- The different point of views between fans and musicians
Connect with Bloodwork
Selected links from the episode:
- Bloodwork live at Wacken Open Air and live at With full force
- Summerbreeze festival
- Break the ground festival
- Garage band
- Gary Vaynerchuk
- Metallica, James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich, Year and a half in the life of Metallica, Nothing else matters
- Pantera, vulgar videos